Friday, January 11, 2008

Na na....no no....NANO

Shit happens, is what I always believed. It does happen of course, but there are other beautiful things that happen as well, like Nano. I was always excited about the 1 lakh car, right from the inception of idea and flabbergasted by the perfection is the least what I can say when I saw the launch.

The 624 cc, rear wheel drive 2-cylinder gasoline engine, delivers a staggering mileage of 4.55L/100km in city and around 3.85L/100km on the highway, an average Indian bike consumes 1.5 to 2 L for 100 km. Having said that, the per capita mileage for the Nano is comparable rather is at par with the most 2 wheelers in India; and is way above the industry average of 7-9L/100km. The car confirms to Bharat Stage III and the stringent Euro-IV standards. Shouldn't this just shut-up the publicity crazy, pain in the neck, Sunita Narain and the green peace?

No, it didn't. Shit happens, you know? I understand the concerns of choking road infrastructure risen by the upper middle class/rich Indians and all due respects to concern of global warming and increase in carbon foot print of India. But, my dear stupid protesters out-side the moto expo, trying to stop the car from production/ taxing the car to hell is not the solution to the concerns raised.

It is a sheer economic bigotry to tax the car because more people could buy it. Ridiculous you hypocrites, why shall not a typical middle class Indian dream of buying a car? The argument is as stupid as asking Reliance to stop selling phones because it is causing network congestion, I shall use anything else than my mouth to laugh at this.

And, it is shame on part of green peace to protest the launch of world's one of the least polluting and most efficient car. If you were ever to be serious, protest the sale of all the SUVs in Europe and USA. At least try and make an average human more environment conscious rather than wasting your time on all this non-sense activity. India's per capita emissions are far less than the Western average, it does not mean that we shall be irresponsible, but that does not either mean that we shall not develop.

Though Nano's services are out of reach for more than 50% of Indians, Tatas have done an excellent job. I am not sure how much heavier the Tatas pockets become because of Nano but it would be a revolution of sorts for automobile industry and there is no reason that shall deter me from calling Tata the Indian Henry Ford; rather call Henry Ford as an American Tata.

2 comments:

Vikky said...

Nice topic :)
Yeah that Narain lady does seem hypocritical....wud be nice to find out what car she drives ;)
From what I can gather, a fantastic car...was thinking of booking it myself...but stopped after the Pulsar experience..although I have my doubts about what it would do to road congestion....an area govt needs to look at.

unicorn said...

Well I would be happy if this would instigate an average politican to talk and promise more about the infrastructure development. I am pretty confident Nano would just not drive the Indian middle class, it would drive the inertia out of the current laziness in developing the infrastructure.